Current State of Food Delivery Apps
The market for on-demand food delivery services is growing at a rapid rate. The soon to be USD 200 billion food delivery industry is expected to reach that mark in 2025 — led by the success stories of the top 10 best food delivery apps mentioned in this article. What is the best food delivery app? In the USA, DoorDah is the best food delivery app and one of the largest in the world by revenue, market cap, and recognition as a brand. DoorDash is followed by Grubhub and Uber Eats on our list of the top 10 food delivery apps in 2020.
Global Food Delivery Industry Stats and Trends
- The food delivery industry is expected to reach USD 200 billion by 2025.
- 60% of U.S. consumers order delivery or takeout once a week.
- 31% say they use these third-party delivery services at least twice a week.
- Digital ordering and delivery have grown 300% faster than dine-in traffic since 2014.
- 87% of Americans who use third-party food delivery services agree that it makes their lives easier.
- Americans who have not used a third-party restaurant delivery service say fast delivery (31%), restaurant selection (28%), low order minimums (27%), and first-use coupons (26%) would motivate them to try it.
- From February to April there was a 169% increase in the number of restaurants actively using Online Ordering with Upserve as restaurants quickly innovated and pivoted to takeout and delivery, paired with an 840% increase in weekly sales via online ordering.
Top 10 Best Food Delivery Apps in the World in 2020
What is the best food delivery app? This is BizVibe’s complete list of the top 10 best food delivery service apps in 2020.
Food Delivery App
Revenue (USD millions)
Market Cap (USD billions)
|3||Uber Eats||1,460||56.8||California, USA|
|10||Seamless||85||6.92||New York, USA|
What is the best food delivery app? DoorDash ranks number 1 on our list of the top 10 best food delivery apps in 2020. DoorDash is available for both iOS and Android and charges a flat fee of $5.99. DoorDash is an American on-demand prepared food delivery service founded in 2013 by Stanford students Tony Xu, Stanley Tang, Andy Fang, and Evan Moore. Currently, DoorDash operates in Australia, Canada, and the United States and employs around 7,549 people worldwide. DoorDash is currently worth more than USD 16 billion and is the largest third-party food delivery service in the USA, surpassing Grubhub in 2019. Last year, DoorDash brought in revenues of USD 900 million — making it one of the top food delivery services apps by revenue.
- Founded: 2013
- DoorDash Revenue: USD 900 million
- DoorDash Market Cap: USD 16 billion
- DoorDash Headquarters: California, USA
- DoorDash Number of employees: 7,549
- DoorDash Delivery Service Fee: $5.99 flat fee
Grubhub ranks 2nd on this list of the top 10 best food delivery services apps in 2020. Grubhub is an American online and mobile prepared food ordering and delivery platform that connects diners with local restaurants. Grubhub is available on both iOS and Android and delivery service fees vary as they are set by the restaurant. Grubhub has 19.9 million active users and 115,000 associated restaurants across 3,200 cities and all 50 states in the United States. Grubhub’s revenue last year was USD 1.31 billion. Grubhub has many subsidiaries including BiteGrabber, Eat24, LevelUp, Seamless, and Tapingo.
- Founded: 2004
- Grubhub Revenue: USD 1.31 billion
- Grubhub Market Cap: USD 6.92 billion
- Grubhub Headquarters: Chicago, USA
- Grubhub Number of employees: 2,773
- Grubhub Delivery Service Fee: Set by restaurant
3. Uber Eats
Uber Eats ranks 3rd on this list of the top 10 best food delivery apps in 2020. Uber Eats is an American online food ordering and delivery platform launched by Uber in 2014 and based in San Francisco, California. Uber Eats is owned and operated by its parent company Uber — one of the largest and most successful technology companies in recent years. Uber Eats is global as it operates in 45 countries and 6000+ cities. Uber Eats generated revenues of USD 1.46 billion last year — making it the best food delivery serviced app by revenue. Uber Eats is available on both iOS and Android and has a delivery fee of $4.99 and up based on distance.
- Founded: 2014
- Uber Eats Revenue: USD 1.46 billion
- Uber Eats Market Cap: USD 56.8 billion
- Uber Eats Headquarters: California, USA
- Uber Eats Delivery Service Fee: $4.99 and up based on distance.
Postmates ranks 4th on our list of the top 10 best food delivery service apps in 2020. Postmates is an American company that offers local delivery of restaurant-prepared meals and other goods. Postmates is available on both iOS and Android and delivery services fees include $1.99 – $3.99 for Partner Merchants (green check) and $5.99 – $9.99 for all other merchants. On July 6, 2020, Uber announced it would buy Postmates for $2.65 billion. Postmats employs 5,341 people and generated USD 1 billion last year — making it one of the largest food delivery service apps by revenue in the world.
- Founded: 2011
- Postmates Revenue: USD 1 billion
- Postmates Market Cap: USD 1.85 billion
- Postmates Headquarters: California, USA
- Postmates Number of employees: 5,341
- Postmates Delivery Service Fee: $1.99 – $3.99 for Partner Merchants. $5.99 – $9.99 for all other merchants.
Ranking 5th on this list of top 10 largest food delivery companies and apps is Instacart with revenues exceeding USD 2 billion. Instacart is an American company that operates a grocery delivery and pick-up service in the United States and Canada with headquarters in San Francisco. Instacart has a current valuation exceeding USD 14 billion and increasing after Covid-19 created more demand for the service. The delivery fee for Instacart is $3.99 for orders of $35 or more and $7.99 under that amount. Regardless of the cost of the order, there is a 5% service fee with a minimum of $2 owed. With an Instacart Express membership for $9.99/month or an annual fee of $99, customers get waived delivery fees on orders over $35, but still must pay the service fee.
- Founded: 2012
- Instacart Revenue: USD 2 billion
- Instacart Market Cap: USD 14 billion
- Instacart Headquarters: California, USA
- Instacart Delivery Service Fee: $3.99 – $7.99 or $9.99/month.
Ranking 6th on this list of the top 10 best food delivery apps is goPuff, a food delivery app operating in over 200 US locations, where users can order items online or via the goPuff app and get the items delivered. goPuff is available on both iOS and Android. The company owns warehouses that stock many of the products it delivers, including electronics, food, medications, and pet supplies. Last year goPuff generated USD 246.5 million. goPuff charges $2 delivery fees, with a $6/month option also available to users.
- Founded: 2013
- goPuff Revenue: USD 246 million
- goPuff Market Cap: USD 1 billion
- goPuff Headquarters: Pennsylvania, USA
- goPuff Delivery Service Fee: $2 delivery fees, with a $6/month option also available to users.
Ranking 7th on our list of the top 10 best food delivery apps in 2020 is ChowNow, an online food ordering platform that connects customers with local restaurants. The company was founded in 2011 in Los Angeles, California. ChowNow partnered with Uber and Postmates to enhance its services with an order delivery feature called Flex Delivery service. ChowNow’s online ordering technology enables independent restaurants to take orders via their own branded channels. ChowNow is available in US cities such as LA, New York, Chicago, Dallas, Atlanta, Denver, Portland, Seattle, and other major cities. ChowNow delivery fees depend on the restaurant and location so it varies. Last year ChowNowgenerated USD 1 billion — making it one of the best food delivery apps in 2020 in terms of revenue.
- Founded: 2011
- ChowNow Revenue: USD 1 billion
- ChowNow Market Cap: USD 1.25 billion
- ChowNow Headquarters: California, USA
- ChowNow Delivery Service Fee: Restaurant and location dependant
Deliveroo ranks 8th on our list of the top 10 best food delivery apps in 2020. Deliveroo is an online food delivery company based in London, England, and the first food delivery company on this list that is not based in the USA. Deliveroo operates in two hundred locations across the United Kingdom, the Netherlands, France, Belgium, Ireland, Spain, Italy, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, the United Arab Emirates, Puerto Rico, Hong Kong, and Kuwait. Deliveroo’s delivery fee is dependant on the restaurant and location. Last year Deliveroo generated USD 365 million in revenues — making it one of the top food delivery service apps in the world in 2020.
- Founded: 2013
- Deliveroo Revenue: USD 365 million
- Deliveroo Market Cap: USD 7.1 billion
- Deliveroo Headquarters: London, UK
- Deliveroo Number of employees: 5,699
- Deliveroo Delivery Service Fee: Dependant on restaurant and location
By sheer numbers, number 9 on this list might be the largest food delivery service in the world. Meituan-Dianping ranks 9th on BizVibe’s list of the top 10 best food delivery apps in the world in 2020. Meituan-Dianping is a Chinese shopping platform for locally found consumer products and retail services including entertainment, dining, delivery, travel, and other services. Meituan-Dianping is headquartered in Beijing and was founded in 2010. Meituan-Dianping is one of the world’s largest online and on-demand delivery platforms with over 290 million monthly active users and 600 million registered users. Meituan Dianping delivers fees that are dependant on the restaurant and location. Last year Meituan-Dianping generated USD 13.71 billion in revenues — the highest on this list, making it the largest food delivery service app by revenue.
- Founded: 2010
- Meituan-Dianping Revenue: USD 13.71 billion
- Meituan-Dianping Market Cap: USD 197.44 billion
- Meituan-Dianping Headquarters: Beijing, China
- Meituan-Dianping Number of employees: 46,662
- Meituan-Dianping Delivery Service Fee: Dependant on restaurant and location
Rounding out BizVibe’s list of the top 10 best food delivery apps is Seamless, an online food ordering service that allows users to order food for delivery and takeout from restaurants through their web site or suite of mobile apps. Users have the option of ordering from the website or a Seamless mobile app for Android, BlackBerry, or iOS. Seamless is owned by Grubhub and generated revenues of USD 85 million last year.
- Founded: 1999
- Seamless Revenue: USD 85 million
- Seamless Market Cap: USD 6.92 billion
- Seamless Headquarters: New York, USA
- Seamless Number of employees: 300
- Seamless Delivery Service Fee: $6
This is BizVibe’s list of the top 10 best food delivery apps in the world in 2020. Keep track of these companies on BizVibe.
Reach out on BizVibe
Best Food Delivery Apps by Revenue 2020
Food Delivery App
Revenue (USD millions)
The Future of the Food Delivery App Industry
The industry is set to reach USD 200 billion by 2025, led by the top 10 best food delivery apps on this list. Post-COVID-19, expect the top food delivery companies to continue dominating in 2020 and going forward, leading the industry to new heights.
Connect on BizVibe
- Top 10 Big Data Analytics Companies
- Top 10 Largest Fast Food Chains in the World
TAGS : Accommodation and Food Services Industry Factsheets
November 3, 2022
November 1, 2022
October 27, 2022
October 21, 2022
- Toast TakeOut.
- Uber Eats.
- Grub Hub.
- Zomato. It is unlikely that a food lover's phone won't have the Zomato online food delivery app. ...
- Swiggy. ...
- Domino's. ...
- Dunzo. ...
- McDonald's. ...
- EatSure. ...
- Pizza Hut. ...
- Zomato. Zomato is one of the most used food delivery apps. ...
- Shupple. Shupple - The Best Brand Discovery and Shopping App. ...
- Swiggy. A lot of people prefer Swiggy for ordering their meals. ...
- FoodPanda. ...
- UberEats. ...
- Scootsy. ...
- Dunzo. ...
Dunzo: Deliver Packages Fast. Saral – Same Day Intra-City Courier Delivery. Pidge – Instant Delivery & Courier Service. Lalamove India – Delivery App.What is the most used food app? ›
|App App Name||Change Daily change of Usage Rank.|
|2||DoorDash - Food Delivery||=|
|3||Uber Eats: Food Delivery||=|
With Zepto in your life, you'll never have to plan for groceries and daily needs again. Get what you want, when you want it and have it delivered at your doorstep in only 10 minutes by Zepto.Which delivery company is fastest? ›
The DHL Express offered by DHL is a fast door-to-door courier service that offers a wide range of express parcel and package services and a tracking facility backed by an experience of 50 years in shipping! It is regarded as the fastest courier service in India.What app delivers same day? ›
- Apollo Pharmacy 247.
- MedPlus Mart.
|Characteristic||Share of online stores in %|
|USPS (United States Postal Service)||54%|
|UPS (United Parcel Service)||47.7%|
|Self-collection / Click & collect||42%|
Pizza is the topmost liked food in the world. Today you can find pizza in almost every corner of the world. This traditional Italian dish is made of flattened round dough topped with cheese, and tomatoes, and additionally garnished with basil, olives, and oregano.Which food app is used in USA? ›
GrubHub. GrubHub is a famous food delivery app in USA. Furthermore, this application is known to deliver food in more than 1000 cities all over the USA. GrubHub food delivery app is one of the most preferred applications and connects with more than 50,000 restaurants, snack bars, and cafes.Who started 10 minute delivery? ›
Zepto was the first startup to promise 10-minute delivery which then prompted the likes of Blinkit, Swiggy and Dunzo to join the race.Which app deliver groceries in 2 hours? ›
Download Prime Now App for 2 Hours Delivery of Grocery, Household Supplies, Personal Care & more -Amazon.in.What apps still deliver? ›
- DoorDash. DoorDash Driver Requirements. ...
- Instacart. Instacart Shopper Requirements. ...
- Shipt. Shipt Shopper Requirements. ...
- Uber Eats/Postmates. Uber Eats Delivery Driver Requirements. ...
- GrubHub. GrubHub Driver Requirements. ...
- Amazon Flex. ...
- Caviar. ...
The exact amount of time expedited shipping will take depends on the company. However, standard shipping often takes between 5 to 10 business days. So expedited shipping might get your package to you in 4 days instead. Most expedited shipping takes between 2 to 3 days.Which delivery is fastest in India? ›
Delhivery, is one of the best domestic courier services in India. The company is known to provide and assist its customers efficiently at each and every step. Right from placing orders to scheduling pick-ups as well as real-time tracking of their deliveries, Delhivery provides dedicated 24/7 support.What is the fastest delivery service in USA? ›
United States Postal Service (USPS) Express mail services provide domestic and overnight delivery all across the U.S. With USPS you get instant access to a wide range of shipping services so that you can choose a delivery option that fits your needs best.How long is same day delivery? ›
Same-day delivery means the customer will receive their order on the same day it's placed. Often, the order must be placed by a certain time of day for this to be applicable—such as before noon. Of course, to a customer, they may incorrectly view same-day shipping and same-day delivery as one and the same.Which app is better Grubhub or Doordash? ›
The numbers for gross earnings per trip show Grubhub with a substantial edge over Doordash, $10.26 vs. $7.93 per trip, respectively. Tips also look better at Grubhub, where the median tip earnings per trip amounted to $5.00, while average Doordash tips came in at $4.17.
JustEast is one of the most popular food ordering mobile apps in the UK. JustEat is being used in the USA and even Europe as well. JustEat founded in 2001, is now serving its services in more than 20 countries worldwide.
People who live in bigger cities may benefit from Uber Eats, while those in small towns might rely on Grubhub. Restaurants may offer their services through different apps, but both have similar payment structures. Uber Eats does offer more free delivery promotions to non-paying members.What food delivery service is most reliable? ›
- Best Overall: GrubHub.
- Best for Low Fees: ChowNow.
- Best for Fast Delivery: Delivery.com.
- Best Customer Service: Postmates.
- Best for Grocery Delivery: Instacart.
- Best for No-Contact Delivery: Uber Eats.
- Best Variety of Restaurants: DoorDash.
The food delivery service that pays the most is Instacart, with drivers reporting earning as much as $30 an hour. Before you quit your day job to deliver food, you need to consider the responsibilities of a delivery job.Who pays more DoorDash or Grubhub? ›
Generally speaking, DoorDash drivers make less per hour than Grubhub drivers. A DoorDash driver makes $13.11, and Grubhub drivers average $18.46. The average hourly pay rate is determined by figuring out the average Dasher payouts from when the order is accepted to when it's dropped off over a 90-day period.Does DoorDash pay gas? ›
No, DoorDash does not pay for gas. Dashers are responsible for all of their vehicle and fuel costs because they are independent contractors. Unlike employees who do get their gas expenses reimbursed by their employer, as independent contractors, Dashers are essentially acting as their own small delivery business.Who uses delivery apps the most? ›
China has the most number of food delivery app users. However, the user penetration in the online food delivery segment will be at 25.3 percent in 2022. Prosperous for new ventures. In market-wise user stats, China is first, followed by the US and the UK.Why food delivery apps are popular? ›
Offer Mobile Ordering for Delivery or Takeaway
Some restaurants mostly use their apps as a way to display their menu and other prominent information about their business, such as location, opening hours, phone number, etc. With the app, customers can view the menu and then find your number to call and place an order.
- DoorDash. DoorDash is a popular delivery app that quickly connects food delivery drivers with customers. ...
- Instacart. The next delivery app on our list is Instacart. ...
- Delivery.com. ...
- GrubHub. ...
- Caviar. ...
- Postmates. ...
- Uber Eats. ...
- Favor Delivery.
There are two small differences between Uber Eats and DoorDash driver requirements, and it comes to age and delivery method. If you want to deliver by foot and live in an eligible city, Uber Eats is the clear choice. However, if you are 18 and want to deliver by car or scooter, then DoorDash is your winner.
Though both platforms pay almost the same per order, DoorDash pays more to the dashers, considering the volume of orders and dashers. While Uber Eats is faster in delivering the food. It is a good time to step in and take advantage and provide the service to a group of people that do love to order food online.Which is more popular Uber Eats or DoorDash? ›
Bloomberg Second Measure's transaction data shows that DoorDash and its subsidiaries earned 59 percent of U.S. consumers' meal delivery sales in May 2022, while Uber Eats came in second place with 24 percent. It's worth noting that our sales metrics may differ from publicly reported earnings for a number of reasons.